Rice University logo

Transfer Credit

Courses taken at another accredited college or university are not automatically approved for transfer credit. Transfer credit is only granted with the approval of the student’s major department. Transfer credits are subject to the following restrictions:

  • Courses must be from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or an international institution officially recognized by that country’s Ministry of Education or equivalent.
  • The course must be recorded on an official transcript sent directly from the original institution to Rice or hand-delivered by the student in an official sealed envelope.
  • The minimum grade for transferred credits is a C- or equivalent. Some departments or programs may set a higher standard.
  • The major department must approve the credits.
  • Students seeking transfer credit must submit an approved Graduate Request for Transfer Credit form to the Office of the Registrar.

Please note that all transferable credits will be converted to semester hours. In no instance will a course transfer in with credit greater than the semester hour equivalent originally earned for the coursework.

Last Revised : July 20, 2011