Summer Sessions for Visiting Students
Rice’s Summer Sessions offers courses for credit to Rice students, visiting undergraduates, and visiting post baccalaureates. Students can choose to take courses in combined summer sessions. Current Rice students follow the same registration policies and procedures that are in place for the fall and spring semesters and can find more information in Registration During the Summer Sessions.
Enrollment Process for Visiting Students
To apply, students will need to submit the following materials to the Rice University Office of the Registrar. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible of acceptance or nonacceptance:
- Visiting Student Application
- Dean of Students Recommendation Form (visiting undergraduates from other institutions only)
- Application fee of $100. This must be paid online on the OTR Fees website and may be paid by credit card or electronic check.
- Course deposit of $200/course (payable by check or money order to Rice University)
- Official college transcript from all colleges or universities attended
- Official final high school transcript (waived if attended a college/university in the previous Spring semester) All transcripts must be mailed in and will not be accepted by fax or email.
- Proof of Meningococcal Vaccination Record or Waiver (required if under the age of 22)
- Tuition is due in full at registration before the beginning of classes.
- Enrollment in courses during the summer sessions carries no implications for regular admission to Rice.
- Visiting students wishing to enroll in summer session online courses for Rice credit must be residents of the State of Texas.
- Visiting students may not take courses on a pass/fail basis.
It is essential that students follow the deadlines listed on the summer school website at http://registrar.rice.edu/students/summersessions/ and the Academic Calendar. Students may apply after the deadline (but before the start of classes) by paying a late fee. Courses that do not generate enrollments sufficient to cover their costs may be canceled.
Auditors of summer school courses, who are considered visiting students, are charged the following rates: Rice alumni pay an audit fee of $470 per semester, and all other visiting students are charged $915 per course per semester for the privilege of auditing.
Applicants who wish to audit must follow the enrollment process for non-Rice students as listed at http://registrar.rice.edu/students/summersessions/, and also submit a Visiting Student Audit form, complete with the instructor’s signature for each course that you wish to audit. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible of acceptance or non-acceptance.
For more information, including tuition and registration information, students should contact the Office of the Registrar at 713-348-4999, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or online at http://registrar.rice.edu/students/summersessions/.
Last Revised : August 23, 2016