Faculty members and course instructors are required to provide a course syllabus to students on or before the first day of class. The syllabus should be uploaded into ESTHER, and may additionally be distributed in hard copy and/or on Canvas. For archiving purposes, updated versions of the course syllabus can be uploaded into ESTHER through the end of the semester. Each syllabus must include the following instructions:
- Instructor’s name, office number, and email address.
- Office hours or a statement of either an “open-door” policy or hours by appointment.
- Overall course objectives and expected learning outcomes.
- Grade policies.
- Absence policies.
- List of required texts.
- Special materials required for the class, if any.
- Number of required examinations and papers.
- Statement of expectations regarding coursework and the Rice Honor Code.
- A statement encouraging any student with a disability that requires accommodation to contact both the course instructor and Disability Resource Center.
- It is permissible to include a statement indicating that the information contained in the course syllabus, other than the absence policies, may be subject to change with reasonable advance notice, as deemed appropriate by the instructor.