Second Bachelor’s Degree for Rice Alumni

Rice alumni with a Rice bachelor's degree have the option of earning a second four-year bachelor's degree at Rice in a different discipline. In addition to being in a different discipline, the second degree must also be a different bachelor's degree from the one already earned; for example, the holder of a BA degree may pursue and complete coursework leading to a BS or BMus degree.

Rice alumni with a Rice bachelor's degree desiring to earn a different four-year bachelor’s degree must:

  • Be accepted for the second major by the major's department or program
  • Fulfill all requirements for the second degree
  • Complete at least 30 additional semester hours at Rice (must include two full-time fall and/or spring semesters) upon their return to Rice and beyond their first bachelor’s degree (these hours are applied to the second bachelor's degree)

The entire undergraduate record for these students continues cumulatively. Those seeking admission to this program should complete the Second Four-Year Bachelor's Degree Application available on the Office of the Registrar website. This application should include a written statement specifying the proposed major and course program for the second degree, a supporting letter from the chair of the major department, and an explanation of the student’s reasons for returning to Rice for a second degree. This letter of application and paperwork should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than August 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester.

Eligible alumni students considering this option should note that coursework completed at Rice as visiting students can only be applied to the second degree with the approval of the major department for that degree. Additionally, coursework completed at Rice as Visiting Post Baccalaureates can only be applied to the second degree with the approval of the major department for that degree and the dean of graduate and postdoctoral studies.

Financial Aid

Students seeking information about financial aid available to participants in the second four-year bachelor's degree program should contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Second Four-Year Bachelor's Degree for Current Rice Undergraduates

Currently enrolled undergraduates who have not yet completed their first bachelor's degree and desire to concurrently earn a second four-year bachelor's degree, also known as a dual degree, should reference the Dual-Degree Requirements on the undergraduate Graduation Requirements page.