Graduate certificate programs at Rice are post-bachelor’s degree academic credential programs that may be earned by students who are already enrolled in graduate degree-granting programs at Rice. In order to apply for a certificate program, students must declare the graduate certificate using the Graduate Declaration and Change of University Certificate From available from the Office of the Registrar. Declaration of the certificate requires the student to obtain the approval of their director of graduate studies (in the degree program to which they have been admitted) as well as approval from the appropriate certificate advisor for the university certificate program. Students may complete and acquire more than one certificate, provided that the student meets any and all of the requirements for each certificate program.
Graduate certificate programs are intended to recognize students who have achieved a defined level of competence, skill, or professional expertise, as well as to encourage students to pursue additional areas of interest in a particular area or field that may complement their coursework in the graduate degree-granting program to which they have been admitted. Upon completion, the certificate is awarded at the same time as the conferral of the student’s Rice degree, along with a formal notation on their academic transcript.
Graduate certificates are awarded when the student's graduate degree is conferred, and the declared Graduate Certificate Candidates have completed:
- A minimum of 4 courses (12 credit hours) of graduate semester credit hours (coursework taken at the 500-level or above) to satisfy certificate requirements, or
- A minimum of 3 courses (9 credit hours) of graduate semester credit hours (coursework taken at the 500-level or above) and a graduate-level internship or other experiential learning opportunity.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.67 or higher in all Rice coursework.
A minimum GPA of 2.67 or higher in all Rice coursework that satisfies requirements for the graduate certificate with a minimum grade of B- (2.67 grade points) in each course.*
- All coursework taken to satisfy certificate requirements with the standard letter grade earned (not on a Pass/Fail basis), with no more than one-third of the coursework taken to meet certificate requirements on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis and no more than one-third of the coursework taken to meet certificate requirements earned through transfer credit.
- All requirements for the graduate degree-granting program in which the student is enrolled.
*Note: Departments or programs may identify and define in their program's General Announcements Requirements tab stricter standards than the minimum GPA for coursework that satisfies their academic program requirements.