Name Changes

To comply with a number of government agencies’ reporting requirements, the university must record the name of each student who is a U.S. citizen as the student’s name appears on his or her Social Security card. Students who need to change their names on Rice University records and who are U.S. citizens must notify the Office of the Registrar and present a Social Security card, marriage license, divorce decree or court order, and picture identification when submitting the form. After the change is implemented, the name on the Rice University transcript will read as printed on the supporting document(s).