Veterans Information

Qualified veterans, dependents of deceased or disabled veterans whose death or disability is a direct result of their military service, or dependents in receipt of transferred benefits from a veteran may be eligible for VA educational benefits under one of the following programs while attending Rice University: 

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill-Active Duty/Discharged 
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation 
  • Chapter 32: Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) 
  • Chapter 33: Post 9/11 G.I. Bill 
  • Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance 
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve 
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) 

At Rice University, veterans’ benefits are managed through the Office of the Registrar. This office assists all veterans and their dependents who wish to receive Veterans Administration (VA) educational benefits 

Please see the Registrar's website regarding the documentation required to obtain educational allowances from the VA.   

Veterans who are planning to attend the university should contact Rice University’s Veterans Affairs Representative at least two months before the date of entry. Such time is required to expedite the processing of paperwork for educational allowances from the VA. 

For certification of benefits, students should have an enrollment of at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduates).  

For additional information regarding other veterans’ educational programs, contact the Office of the Registrar at 713-348-4999 or